This text first appeared in West Level’s Trendy Warfare Institute.
We simply accomplished the fifth week of our new nationwide safety class at Stanford – Know-how, Innovation and Nice Energy Competitors. Joe Felter, Raj Shah and I designed the category to cowl how expertise will form all the weather of nationwide energy (America’s affect and footprint on the world stage).
In class 1, we realized that nationwide energy is the mixture of a rustic’s diplomacy, data/intelligence, its army capabilities, financial energy, finance, intelligence, and legislation enforcement. This “complete of presidency method” is understood by the acronym DIME-FIL.
Class 2 targeted on China, the U.S.’s main nice energy competitor. China is utilizing all components of nationwide energy: diplomacy (gentle energy, alliances, coercion), data/ intelligence, its army may and financial energy (Belt and Street Initiative) in addition to exploiting Western finance and expertise. China’s purpose is to problem and overturn the U.S.-led liberal worldwide order and substitute it with a neo-totalitarian mannequin.
The third class targeted on Russia, which since 2014 has asserted itself as a competing nice energy. We realized how Russia pursues safety and financial pursuits in parallel with its ideological goals. At instances, these targets complement one another. At different instances they conflict, as Russian coverage is run by Vladimir Putin and his political establishments.
The fourth class shifted our focus to the influence industrial applied sciences have on DIME-FIL. The primary expertise we examined have been semiconductors, the oil of the twenty first century. The U.S. depends on TSMC, positioned in Taiwan, for its most superior logic chips. That is problematic as China claims Taiwan is a province of China.
At the moment’s class: Synthetic Intelligence / Machine Studying
Introduction to AI
The AI Arms Race: Truth or Fiction?
China’s AI Technique
- Jeffrey Ding, “China’s Present Capabilities, Insurance policies, and Industrial Ecosystem in AI” Testimony earlier than the U.S.-China Financial and Safety Overview Fee Listening to on Know-how, Commerce, and Navy-Civil Fusion: China’s Pursuit of Synthetic Intelligence, New Supplies, and New Vitality, June 7, 2019.
- Helen Toner, “Know-how, Commerce, and Navy-Civil Fusion: China’s Pursuit of Synthetic Intelligence, New Supplies, and New Vitality” Testimony earlier than the U.S.-China Financial and Safety Overview Fee, June 7, 2019.
- Ryan Fedasiuk, Jennifer Melot, Ben Murphy, “Harnessed Lightning, How the Chinese language Navy is Adopting Synthetic Intelligence Middle for Safety and Rising Know-how (CSET)
Russian AI Technique
US AI Technique
Different AI and Nationwide Safety Assets
Studying Project Questions:
Choose one of many under questions and reply in roughly 100 phrases, based mostly on the required readings. Please notice that this task can be graded and rely in the direction of course participation.
- How would you characterize the geopolitical AI Arms Race? Is an “arms race” the correct lens by means of which to grasp this phenomenon, or is there one other solution to higher perceive nice energy competitors within the AI area?
- Can the U.S. be taught any classes from China’s AI technique?
Class 5 – Visitor Audio system
Our audio system for our fifth class have been Mike Brown, Nand Mulchandani and Jacqueline Tame.
Mike Brown is the director of the Protection Innovation Unit (DIU) – a Division of Protection group that contracts with industrial firms to resolve nationwide safety issues. Beforehand Mike was the CEO of Symantec and Quantum.
Jacqueline Tame was the previous Performing Deputy Director of the JAIC and the architect of the JAIC “Gamechanger,” an AI-driven Coverage Evaluation Device.
Mike Brown led off the session with an outline of the Protection Innovation Unit (DIU).
When you can’t see Mike Brown’s Protection Innovation Unit presentation click on right here.
Key takeaways from Mike’s discuss have been that 1) 50 years in the past defense-related R&D made up 36% of world R&D. At the moment, defense-related R&D is 4%. Key applied sciences wanted by protection right this moment are made by industrial firms (5G, AI, biotech, quantum, entry to house, batteries, and so forth.) 2) The highest tech firms (Fb, Alphabet, Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple) outspend U.S. prime contractors 11 to 1 in R&D ($70.5B versus $6.2B.)
DIU’s function is to search out after which funnel industrial expertise into the DoD by prototyping, transitioning, and scaling options. They’ve (by DoD requirements) an especially quick pipeline from drawback curation, to evaluating and deciding on firms, then prototyping tasks and inserting them into DoD applications. AI/MLis among the six core areas DIU focuses on (together with house, autonomy, superior power and supplies, cyber and human techniques.) DIU AI/ML has three strains of effort: machine Studying predictions, huge information evaluation, enhanced resolution making.
Gamechanger makes use of AI to deal with an issue solely a authorities may create. The DoD and federal laws have 10’s of 1000’s of insurance policies, legal guidelines, laws that inform decision-makers what they’ll or can’t do. These exist somewhere else on completely different networks and alter nearly every day. Now you may merely sort a pure language question that asks, “Do I’ve the authority do x?” Or, “How should purchase this merchandise shortly?” and so forth.
When you can’t see the slides, click on right here
Our first dialogue in school (Slide 7) was whether or not Nicholas Chaillan’s (the primary Air Drive Chief Software program Officer) declare that we have now already misplaced the AI battle to China was right.
Slides 9-14 kicked off the dialogue of the geopolitical implications of AI. Given each China and Russia have made a AI a nationwide effort, how will AI influence all elements of DIME (Diplomatic, Intelligence, Navy, and Financial) and nationwide energy? What are the impacts of AI created deep fakes? AI automating picture recognition of satellite tv for pc information? AI creating optimum ideas of operations? AI-tuned cyber-attacks? AI cyber safety? AI good/predicative upkeep? and so forth. The place will we first see its impacts? What’s going to our response be?
Class Dialogue Questions: (Slide 15)
- How would you characterize the strengths and weaknesses of the U.S.’s AI Technique?
- How would you advise the Biden Administration to pursue an AI Technique?
Subsequent week: Autonomy and Unmanned Techniques
- AI and machine studying is a vital expertise that may influence all elements of DIME (Diplomatic, Intelligence, Navy, and Financial) and nationwide energy
- Many of the superior work in AI/ML is occurring in industrial firms and universities not the DoD
- China and Russia have made AI and machine studying nationwide priorities
- The Protection Innovation Unit (DIU) exists to search out after which funnel industrial expertise like AI/ML into the DoD
- The Joint Synthetic Intelligence Middle (JAIC) is the focus of the Division of Protection AI technique
Filed underneath: Know-how Innovation and Trendy Warfare and Nice Energy Competitors |